PIC Grants - Base Funding For Parent Involvement
Each school council receives $500 to assist with parent communication and other parent engagement efforts. Schools with both an elementary (grades 7-8) and secondary (grades 9-11) stream may receive $500 for each, for a total of $1,000.
The Ministry provides this money to the school board, which in turn gives it to the school principal to give to the school council. Guidelines state that this money is to be used for "mobilization and outreach" activities such as "broadening the number of school events that include parents" and "diversification of communication tools" used to reach parents. School councils are expected to "seek out the advice and ideas of other parents and partners" about how best to spend the money. The school council must approve all the expenditures for activities funded with this money.
The funds must be spent by the end of the school year. The Board will provide councils with a form for reporting back to the Ministry on how the funds were spent. Visit the Parent Involvement Committee page on OCSB website for more information on PIC reporting.
Some ideas for spending this Parent Involvement funding include:
- Funding for a parent open house during education week
- A big event hosted by a family of schools (pooling funds and resources)
- Translation services for parents
- Interpreters for parent events and interviews
- Guest speaker or parent workshops
- Hosting a parent breakfast at school
- Babysitting during a council meeting, parent workshop or school event
- Purchase computer software for council activities
- To augment PRO Grant funds (eg. additional $ for speaker, food, etc)
- Door Prizes for parents
- Parent Resource Library (books, electronic resources, DVD's etc.)
- Taxi or bus fare to encourage parents to attend school event
- Refreshments for parent event at school (interviews, open house, workshop)
- Creating "Welcome Package" for new families
Additional resources available at The Parent Involvement Centre